This Step-by-Step tutorial guides you through the basic steps for entering your Account Information including MICR check information, ACH Information, and pre-printed check designs.
For more detailed information on these features, see the Bank Account Information > Update Help page.
•For a visual tutorial, see the Setup a Bank Account video.
•All video tutorials can be viewed from the Tutorials & Videos page.
This Section Includes:
To get started, let's navigate to the Bank Account Information page.
1. From the Bank Account Information menu, Select Modify -> Bank Account Information.
2. Enter a Description for your bank account and select whether or not it is active. (A Bank Account must be active in order to post transactions for that bank account.)
3. The first tab on the Bank Account Management page is "Account Information". If it is not currently displayed, click the Account Information tab.
4. Enter the asset Account # that is associated with the bank account you are setting up.
NOTE: Use the Search icons to find and select the levels and accounts.
5. Next, Enter the Opening Balance amount. For example, if the first statement you plan to reconcile is January, then enter the ending balance for December.
6. Enter the Bank Account # to print at the bottom of your MICR checks. (If you are not using MICR checks, this field is optional and can be entered for your general reference.)
7. Check the Use Positive Pay? check box if you want a positive pay text file created when processing your checks.
The MICR Check information is divided into 4 tabs: Company/Bank Info, MICR Stub/Signature Info, Images, and MICR Print Check Password.
1. Let's take a look at the Company/Bank Info tab first. Click the Company/Bank Info tab.
2. Enter the Bank Account Routing #.
NOTE: This number prints at the bottom of your MICR checks next to the Bank Account #.
3. Next, enter the Bank Name and any other text to appear under the Bank Name on the MICR checks, such as the address or phone number.
4. Fill out any other fields on this tab as appropriate for your organization and then click the MICR Stub/Signature Info tab.
5. Select if you want to print a One Stub Check or Two Stub Check and then select any other options you want to include.
6. In the Signature Information section, select either the One Signature Line or Two Signature Lines radio button and then enter the text that you would like to appear above and under the signatures on your MICR checks.
7. Enter the Maximum Amount fields as appropriate for your organization. For example, if you enter $1,000 in the One Signature Printed field and $500 in the Two Signature Printed field, then signatures display on your checks as follows:
•No signatures display on a check if the check amount is over $1,000.
•Only the Bottom Signature displays on a check if the check amount is between $500.01 and $1,000.
•Both Signatures print on a check if the check amount is $500 or less.
8. After entering the information on this tab, click the Print Test AP button to download sample MICR checks.
9. Next, click the Images tab. This is where you assign images to appear on your MICR checks.
10. From here, click the Choose File button next to the Company Image to Print field.
11. Navigate and select your company's image using the dialog window that appears.
12. Continue assigning images for the other fields, as appropriate.
13. Entering a MICR password is an optional step, but can be used to further secure the printing of your checks. To activate this feature, click the MICR Print Check Password tab.
14. Enter a password in both the Password and Re-Type Password fields.
NOTE: If you specify a password here, then MICR checks cannot be generated without entering this password. This is a safety feature to stop someone from processing checks without entering the correct password.
There is a Direct Deposit feature which allows your organization to use ACH (Automated Clearing House) Information to transfer funds from your bank to your recipient's bank. When using this feature, a voucher prints instead of a check and a file is created that you send to your financial institution to initiate the transfer. Follow the steps below to activate this feature.
1. Click the ACH Information tab.
2. Enter the ACH information into the fields on this tab.
NOTE: For a detailed explanation of these fields, see the ACH Information section of the Help files.
The Pre-Printed Check tabs allow you to select which stock format to use and then allow you to do some additional customization, if needed.
1. To start, select either the AP or Payroll tab.
2. Next, select your check format from the Stock Formats drop-down list and then click the Reset to this format button.
3. Customize the stock format using the options on this page.
NOTE: The Number of Stub Lines and Vertical Offset fields (highlighted below) can be adjusted to resolve issues where the text on your check is moving up or down on consecutive checks.
4. The placement of specific fields on the check can be modified using the grid at the bottom of this tab. Let's say you want to move the Check Number to the left by 1/2 an inch. Click the Edit icon on the Check Number row.
5. Change the Horizontal Offset to be .5 inches less and then click the Check Mark to save your changes.
6. Click the Test Preprinted Checks button to display a preview of the pre-printed checks.
7. When you are finished setting up all of your bank account information, be sure to click the Update button to save your changes.
NOTE: You may want to make a screenshot of your new settings to keep as a reference.