Processing an invoice involves 3 steps. The invoice needs to be entered, posted, and then paid.
This Step-By-Step tutorial guides you through the process of entering an invoice for a landscaping service, posting the invoice, and then paying that invoice in the form of a check.
•For a visual tutorial, see the Process an Invoice video.
•All video tutorials can be viewed from the Tutorials & Videos page.
Enter an Invoice
1. From the Accounts Payable menu, select Enter -> Transaction.
2. The Person Search window appears. Enter your search criteria, such as the first word of the vendor's company name (or last name of the vendor), and then click the Search button. Double-click the vendor on the grid.
3. Enter the invoice number, date, due date, and total. (Required fields are indicated with a red asterisk.)
4. Under the Details section, enter the Account number and the Description. Enter a project or 1099 (if appropriate) and then enter the amount for that line. (Click the Add New icon to add another line of detail or click the Add New Lines icon-link to add multiple lines of detail in one click.)
5. After entering all the detail lines, review the invoice for accuracy and then click the Update button to save it.
Post the Invoice
1. After clicking the Update button, the Transactions page appears. Enter any filters to narrow the number of transactions that display on the grid and then click the Search button.
NOTE: The Transactions page can also be viewed by selecting Manage -> Unposted Transactions from the Accounts Payable menu.
2. After the transactions appear on the grid, select your invoice by clicking the check box next to it. Select any other transactions you want to process and then click the Transaction Edit Report button.
3. Review the Transaction Edit Report for accuracy when it displays. If you want, you can click the Print button to print a copy of it, or you can click the Export link to download a copy of the report. Click the Close Report button to return to the Transactions page.
4. Click the Edit icon next to a transaction to make any modifications to it. When you are ready to post the transactions, click the Post Transactions button in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
5. If you are on a Cash Basis, there is not a report to review or a Posting Date to enter. Just click the Finalize Post button to post your transactions. If you are on an Accrual Basis, review the Input Audit report and verify that the Posting Date matches your Current Financial Settings. Then, click the Finalize Post button.
6. The Finalize Post window appears (if you are on an Accrual Basis). Verify that the Fiscal Year, Period, and Date are correct and then click the OK button. Your Transactions are then posted and a corresponding journal entry is sent to the General Ledger.
Pay the Invoice
1. The last step is to pay the invoice. From the Accounts Payable menu, select Manage -> Payment Processing.
2. Enter any filters and then click the Search button.
3. The Payment Processing page appears. Select your invoice from the list of unpaid invoices and then click the Payment Edit Report button.
4. After the Payment Edit Report (aka Cash Requirements Report) displays, click the Print button to print a copy of it or click the Export link to download a copy of the report. Click the Close Report button to return to the Payment Processing page.
5. The next step is to verify that your Current Financial Settings are correct. For example, if the Period is set to "January" and you want to post to "February", click the change link to set the period and then click the OK button to save your changes.
6. Click the Process Payments button in the lower right-hand corner of the page to process the payments.
7. The Check Information window appears. Make any changes you desire and then click the OK button to proceed.
8. The checks display. Click the Print icon to print these checks. After the checks have printed, review them to make sure they are correct. If any checks need to be reprinted, click the Reprint Checks button and specify which checks to reprint. When all the physical checks have printed correctly, click the Continue button.
9. The A/P Check Register report displays. Review the register for an errors and then click the Print icon to print the report. After reviewing the report, verify that the Posting Date is correct and then click the Finalize Post button.
10. The Finalize Post window appears. Verify that the Fiscal Year, Period, and Date are correct and then click the OK button. Your Accounts Payable payment process completes and a corresponding journal entry is sent to the General Ledger.
Compiled on 10/16/2018 10:23:13 AM